Follow your dream: be convinced and your story will unfold
How do you think J.K Rowling became the most popular writer in the world?
I think she says it herself : “I was convinced that the only thing I wanted to do ever was write novels.“
I read this twote (quote tweet) from Arnaud St. Paul (transformational coach) and the following ideas sparked into my mind:
Conviction is the central power engine to all dreams:
- When you are convinced, nothing can stop you. When it comes to taking important decisions, the slightest doubt is a killer. Unfortunately, we are mostly trained at following the path life designed for us: where we come from, our education, our experiences, what our social context expect from us.
- When Rowling wrote her legendary Harry Potter saga, she could have had millions of excuses to remain in the status-quo and hide behind her shadow: the loss of her mother, divorce from her husband, the responsibility of their baby child and financial insecurity. That’s quite a lot. But she stood behind her dream because she was convinced.
It’s not about who you are but who you dream to be:
- The self is just a construction. Everything we think about ourselves are just ideas and beliefs. If you are not convinced about this truth and are curious to see for yourself, practice emptiness meditation and you will see.
- So instead of carrying the burden of an identity that life has built for us (our origins, our story, our parents wishes, our social and economic backgrounds, the dreams of the society we live in or the latest fashion trend en vogue) we might as well learn to leave this burden and choose the self we really would like to be!
- JK Rowling wanted to write novels. The rest is history.
A special bonus for lifelong doubters:
- Life doesn’t prepare us to dream who we want to be. The individual who takes this step needs a lot of courage to confront the fear-voices within: “who do you think you are?”, “that’s not safe, you are taking a huge risk here”, “what if you fail and you have lost all that you are/have now”, “a safer decision would be to stay in the status-quo, it’s not that bad after all”…..
- These voices are amazing. I just learned today from an admirable soul centered coach (Sabina Wyss, read about here in German) that these voices are our protectors relentlessly working for our survival day and night.
- Of course, they keep us away from achieving our dreams. The best way to use their help is to recognize their support, be genuinely thankful for all their hard work in our (biased) interest and stop the contact there to focus on our dream. When the steps we take towards our dream become our new paradigm, these voices will soothe and calm.
Have you already found what you are truly convinced about? What is that thing that you really want to do?